Monday, September 15, 2014

Iinv* (for Inv*)

Let me invite you to celebrate mystery writer Agatha Christie’s birthday by sharing one of my favourite quotes that has little to do with writing or mystery (or does it?):
I don't think necessity is the mother of invention - invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble. – Agatha Christie

This is something I can relate to. I think of a time when I lay on the couch unable to reach the TV remote, but the invisible hand of laziness kept me from rising. To fetch it I carefully constructed a “robot arm” from nearby pens and masking tape. Another day, I sewed a purse from a pair of old corduroy pants because it seemed easier than going to the store to buy one.

Christie was the subject of an investigation 1926, when she disappeared for eleven days. Her fans were not idle: over a thousand police officers and 15,000 volunteers were involved in the search. She was found at a hotel under an assumed name, and claimed amnesia.

But much speculation remained, and some hinted at a twisted form of laziness: Was she trying to fake her death and have her husband accused of the crime, thinking it easier than divorcing him? Was she doing research for a new book? Or was she simply bored and idleness led to the invention of her death? We may never know.

Our typo today begins with a double i and has over 530 hits in Worldcat.

Leanne Olson

(Photo of Agatha Christie courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)

No comments: